[Yanel-dev] xhtml namespace is being added, although neither source XML nor XSLT is using xhtml namespace

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Thu Aug 2 09:24:43 CEST 2007

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Josias Thöny wrote:
[...]

>> but it does not do any namespace normalization, see also the bugzilla
>> comment.
>

> do you have an example for namespace normalization?

One part of the normalization is to fix namespace problems, e.g. to
insert missing namespace attributes to declare a ns prefix/uri mapping.
The other part is to "clean up" namespaces, e.g. to unify different
prefix/uri declarations for the same uri, or to remove redundant ns
declarations, e.g:

input:
<xhtml:div xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
   <a:p xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
     hello
   </a:p xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
   <xhtml:p xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
     hello again
   </xhtml:p>
</xhtml:div>

output:
<xhtml:div xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
   <xhtml:p>
     hello
   </xhtml:p>
   <xhtml:p>
     hello again
   </xhtml:p>
</xhtml:div>

Since our XMLSerializer doesn't do this normalization, we have to rely
on a "nice" input. I guess in most cases it shouldn't be a problem.

Josias