[Yanel-dev] search-index folders

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Mon Apr 27 13:31:29 CEST 2009

Hi!

Guillaume Déflache schrieb:
> IMHO search-index folders can be safely put in svn:ignore as they can be
> generated and in general we'd rather have a background process do the
> indexing than us manually commit the changes in svn.

Just wanted to explain further  why I cared about this particular detail:

When contributing to projects using Yanel or Yanel itself this is a pain
to see what changed and what
didn't once you have run the tests or fiddled with some of the bundled
realms at
least once. one just stumbles over the same files one doesn't really
care about over and over (and the number of unversioned files even grows
over time because of some
not-so-well behaving tests, but anyway).

It does not seem a big deal under the Unix command-line but under
Windows the otherwise indispensable TortoiseSVN shows all ignored files
*recursively* on svn status screens! And Simon said to me yesterday that
Eclipse does more or less the same when you use svn plugins! :(

Of course there are bigger offenders like the infamous "yarep-data"
directories that are always only partly committed, but let's start small...

Cheers,
    Guillaume