[Yanel-dev] New toolbar (using superfish) doesn't use full width re menu items on IE

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Jan 28 00:13:03 CET 2011

On 1/27/11 11:57 PM, Cedric Staub wrote:
>> This doesn't scale!
>>
>> So what can we do about this?
> The first problem is that sending patches around by mail requires a lot
> of work just to track the patches themselves, e.g. what they do, where
> they apply, who wrote them and so forth. We need a tool that allows to
> us/you to track patches consistently.
>
> Now we just have Subversion and Bugzilla, but the developers have to do
> all the bookkeeping. We generate patches in Subversion manually while
> having to make sure we don't mix changesets from two different features
> that are in concurrent development. Then submit them to Bugzilla, and if
> the patch needs improvement re-generate it again. And if we want to test
> a patch, download and apply it manually and so forth.
>
> We need to optimize the workflow and reduce the bookkeeping. All of
> those things should be automatic, the developer shouldn't have to spend
> time on tedious tasks like this.
>
> My suggestions:
>
> 1. Switch to a distributed version control system. That way the
> development of new features can be split into "branches", allowing new
> features to be developed in isolation which makes it easier to deal with
> them. This also makes it easier to test new features from other
> developers, because you can just test their branch while leaving your
> code untouched.
>
> 2. Install a patch/issue tracker that integrates with the version
> control system. This makes it possible to automatically link commits and
> issues, discuss changes, perform code reviews, send pull requests, and
> lots of other stuff.
>
> I hope that's realistic enough ;-).

definitely, and I agree with you, whereas I hear "Mercurial" ;-)

We are investigating Mercurial and actually have been offered some great
help by Martin Geisler.
We are currently exporting our public SVN to test a migration (Maybe you
want to talk to Simon), but to be honest I am not sure yet if it really
will help actually solve the problems discussed above.

I would suggest let's simulate the toolbar example based on your
suggestions above in order
to find out what problems it will solve and which other problems will
need to be tackled differently.

WDYT?

Thanks

Michael