[Yanel-dev] Performance Tuning XSLT

Balz Schreier balz.schreier at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:36:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have searched for quite a while and didn't find concrete answers to my
simple question:

Which one of the options below is faster or is the XSLT compiler "smart"
enough so that both variants are the same at the end?

1) I have to read a property in an external XML:

<xsl:value-of select="document($path)//city"/>

Whenever I need the city, I use the expression above (let's say 100 times)

2) Instead of calling the document() 100 times, I store the XML node in a
variable:

<xsl:variable name="node" select="document($path)"/>

And then I use 100 times

<xsl:value-of select="$node//city"/>

Which one is faster, better, for which reasons?
Thank you!