[Yanel-usage] uploading to a web server, how ?

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Jan 10 21:01:59 CET 2014

Am 10.01.14 00:14, schrieb bard at grapefilm.com:
> Thanks Michael again for your feedback!
>

> push and pull via git sounds ideal or what would snowden say to that :-) I mean the git just seems to access my computer directly ?

not if you use something like github. In the case of github it means,
that when you push, the changes will go to github,
which means somebody else (for example us) can pull it from there. If
you make your content open source, then github will be for free, if not,
then it would be starting at USD 7 per month

https://github.com/pricing

> What do you charge for hosting ?

we are not a hosting company ourselves, but depending on what your
requirements (space, etc.) are we would either "add" your realm to our
own Yanel instance, which would probably be around USD 5-10 per month or
if you need more space and power, rent a dedicated virtiual server at
linode for USD 20, which would be owned by yourself completely

https://www.linode.com/

Hence in total (github and Tomcat/Virtual Server) it would be around USD
12 to USD 27 per month

>  My current apache 2.2-- gives me 5 gig at a very reasonable rate.

how much do you currently pay?

> I am looking towards the possibility to run live videostreams in the future - is tomcat right for that ?

it depends what exactly you mean with videostreams? You mean kind of
youtube, vimeo? Or that while your record people can watch?

> Does the linode technology mean that the site wil be mirrored on several servers around the world ?
Kind of, because the servers are virtual, I guess these are mirrored on
the backend somehow, but I don't think linode gives a guarantee. But if
you keep the content inside github, then you will have it mirrored
anyway, because it will be on at least three physical locations:

- Your laptop
- github
- hosting provider (e.g. linode)

I think this will make it quite safe ;-)

Best regards

Michael