[Yanel-dev] Default Index (2 directories)

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Apr 1 16:50:23 CEST 2011

Hi Balz

On 4/1/11 6:55 AM, Balz Schreier wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> can you explain, why there are per default 2 index directories?
> fulltext and properties?

I don't remember exactly why we did it this way, but either I/we
misunderstood Lucene or
it was because of backwards compatibility reasons, but I agree it's not
necessary to have two indexes.

> as of my understanding, you actually only require 1 single index which
> stores everything (fulltext is nothing else than a property called
> "_FULLTEXT", right? So we would need just one index.

yes and the LuceneIndexerV2 is doing this, whereas it still maintains
the properties index, but just
for backwards compatibility reasons.

> tempo/cache/search-index/fulltext
> tempo/cache/search-index/properties
>
> Both directories contain segment files so both are somehow used by
> Yanel, but only 1 should actually be used.

Re searching we have to introduce a LuceneSearcherV2 which access also
for searchProperty(..) the "fulltext" index.

> I just had a productive issue where the LOCK file was not removed
> anymore from the index in the "properties" directory and I guess there
> are still some sections in the code which are not yet fully
> synchronized (LuceneIndexer). Under any circumstances, the LOCK file
> must get removed again, whatever happens during writing into the
> index... I'll have a closer look at the code again today.

Thanks

Michael